Getting started with Libby
With Libby, you can enjoy free ebooks, digital audiobooks, and magazines from your library. All you need is a library card.
Meet Libby, the library reading app.
With Libby, you can borrow free ebooks, digital audiobooks, and magazines from your library. All you need is a library card.
When you open Libby for the first time, you'll search for your library. Then, you can explore the collection and borrow titles or place holds instantly.
On your Shelf , you'll find all your loans, holds, and tags.
By default, loans are automatically downloaded for offline use when you're on Wi-Fi.
Your loans are returned automatically on their due dates, so you never need to worry about late fees.
Tap Manage Loan to see more options for each title (like returning early). Tap a title to open it and start reading.
If you belong to a library in the United States, you'll see the option to send most ebooks to Kindle or to start reading in Libby.
Use the footer to search, visit your library, access your Shelf , and see your timeline. You can also open your current read.
In the Libby menu, you can see your notifications, add a library, get help, and more.
Download Libby to start borrowing today. Happy reading!
Looking for more in-depth videos about using Libby? Visit our videos page.
Download or open Libby on your device:
- iOS devices: Apple App Store
- Android devices: Google Play
- Amazon Fire tablets: Amazon Appstore
- Windows, Mac, and Chromebooks: libbyapp.com
Note: libbyapp.com works best in up-to-date versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge.
In Libby, follow the prompts to find your library and sign in with a library card.
Browse your library's catalog, then borrow a book or audiobook or open a magazine.
Your selection will vary based on your library, since each library chooses what titles and formats to offer in Libby.
Borrowed titles appear on your Shelf . You'll also find your magazine subscriptions and kept magazine issues on the Magazine Rack on your Shelf.
Book and audiobook loans are downloaded to the app automatically when you're connected to Wi-Fi, so you can read them when you're offline. To save space on your device, magazines don't automatically download, but you can manually download individual issues.
On your Shelf , you can:
- Tap loans (at the top of the screen) to only see your book and audiobook loans.
- Tap Read With... to choose where you'd like to read a book (Kindle or Libby), then finish sending to Kindle (U.S. libraries only) or start reading in Libby.
- Tap Open In Libby or Open Audiobook to start reading or listening in the app.
- Tap Manage Loan to see options like Renew Loan and Return Early.
- Scroll down to the Magazine Rack to see your magazines:
- Tap a magazine's cover to start reading.
- Tap to see options, like Download (mobile app only) and Subscribe.